28 April 2013

a "In The Top 10" moment

Just had a "In The Top 10" of favorite moments thus far on the Africa Mercy.  There is no actual list...but if there was, worshipping to the song "Lay Me Down" tonite during church (and the reprise after church!) would definitely make the cut.  Here's a link if you want to listen to it yourself:  Lay Me Down

The words: 

With this heart open wide
From the depths, from the heights
I will bring a sacrifice
With these hands lifted high
Hear my song, Hear my cry
I will bring a sacrifice
I will bring a sacrifice

I lay me down I'm not on my own
I belong to You alone
Lay me down, lay me down
Hand on my heart, this much is true
There's no life apart from You
Lay me down, lay me down

Letting go of my pride
Giving up all my rights
Take this life and let it shine
Take this life and let it shine

It will be my joy to say
Your will, Your way
It will be my joy to say
Your will, Your way
It will be my joy to say
Your will, Your way
Always

What if we did lay ourselves down?  What if we laid our lives down - for the sake of the Kingdom...for the sake of the world's forgotten poor...for the sake of our neighbor...for the sake of our spouse...for the sake of our children...for the sake of our crewmates...for the sake of our friends...

What if we laid down our rights?  What if we laid down our right to be heard or our right to get what we want when we want it?  What if we laid down our opinion and surrended wanting our opinion to be heard?

What if we laid down our preferences?  What if we let others have it the way they want it?  What if we kept our mouths closed even if we know we are right?  What if we were thankful for the food put before us instead of complaining that it's not something else?

What if we laid down our selfishness?  What if we laid down our ability to think of ourselves first?   What if we actively chose to think of others and what they want BEFORE we think of what we want?  What if we looked not only to our own interests but also to the interests of others?   

We are not our own - We belong to Him alone.  We lay us down.  We let go of our pride. We lay down our rights. God, will you help us do that?  Will you help us live our lives completely laid down?

It truly is our joy to say YOUR WILL, YOUR WAY, God.  Please have your will and your way in the Cash family.  We lay ourselves down....  Your Will, Your way, God - always.

Surely there will be more to come.

1 comment: