Fun fact: every Thursday night (pretty much) we have a Community Meeting at 7:30...and every Thursday night (pretty much) we have icecream after the previously mentioned Community Meeting. Honestly, we're not sure how long this tradition has been going on...maybe we should ask. (and have we really never written a blog post about icecream on Thursday nights?!?!)
For a while we didn't let our kids go down and get icecream. It just made the evening too complicated and prolonged bedtime farther than we were willing to go. But before you start thinking anything about us depriving our children of icecream (how dare we?!), you must know that we would very often go get their icecream for them, put it in the freezer and then let them have it for breakfast on Friday morning. (score one for the parents - and the kids!!)
Lately we've been letting them have their icecream on Thursday nights (IF their behavior warrants it)(nothing like dangling icecream in front of a kid...it's quite the incentive).
Emma's favorite spot to enjoy her icecream seems to be on the steps - right in the middle of everything. The other night the stars aligned just right - she was on the steps looking cute in her pajamas (and freshly washed hair!) - and the camera was present (because of the Academy Health Fair that was going on during icecream)(just slightly ironic). Thus, a few pictures for your viewing enjoyment. She's too cute not to share.
Fun Thursday Night Icecream Facts:
- the icecream serving responsibilities rotate among the departments (there are about 35 departments...so you really only get to serve once every 6 months or so...)
- sometimes the departments "dress up" to serve (in their uniforms or some part of their work garb) or put their own twist on the icecream toppings/accessories).
- there are generally 4 flavors to choose from: vanilla, strawberry, chocolate & coffee
- chocolate syrup, caramel syrup & sprinkles are offered as toppings
- the containers that the icecream comes in fit perfectly into the cabinets in the cabins - 2 fit side by side and are perfect for socks, undies, small toys, craft supplies, etc. (we currently don't have any in our cabin...but it's nice to know we could get them if we needed them!!)
Icecream on Thursday nights: just one of the many AFM traditions that help to make this community what it is -- this special...unique...beautiful...challenging...refreshing...rewarding...frustrating...lovely community. We're glad to be a part of it...and glad to have the chance to enjoy icecream each week! (whether we take the chance or not, it's nice to know we could if we wanted to!)
Maybe sometime we'll take some snapshots of the lines (there are 2 usually very long - but quick moving! - icecream lines) and the fellowship that happens in the cafe and mid-ships as the vast majority of the crew connect over icecream. It's a delightful picture of the body of Christ coming together over a super sweet treat.
Surely there will be more to come.