03 November 2016

A Giant See-Saw for a Home

Caroline wrote the following for a school assignment.  She gave us permission to share it here (reluctantly...but permission, none the less!!)

Have you ever seen a giant see-saw with hundreds of people on it? Well, I live on one.  It's a ship called the Africa Mercy. The Africa Mercy is a great place to live for the following reasons: our destinations, friendships, and community life.
Guinea, 2012
The ship goes to many exotic places - that is one of the main reasons why I love the ship! First, in August 2012 until June 2013 we went to Guinea.  There was an amazing hotel and pool with these adorable little kittens. There was also an amazing park which provided a great field trip spot and a good place to play.  Then, in August 2013 until June 2014 the ship went to Congo which had an amazing beach very close to the port. There were also with many restaurants with low prices and good food. In October 2014 we went to Madagascar.  It was so awesome we went for two years.(JK we went cause we had nowhere else to go because of the Ebola crisis in West Africa) There was a very grassy soccer field where we played Frisbee and there were many amazing spots that people went to for  relaxation during the weekend. Most recently, in August of this year (2016), we have arrived at Benin! Here there is an amazing treat called fanice! It is absolutely delicious. If you are looking for an international traveling home then you should move to the Africa Mercy!
               
At Arbre d'Vie Orphanage a few weekends ago
 I love the ship because of my friends who support me in smooth times and rough as well. First of all, I have met kids from all over the world. It is almost like visiting the world in one day. For example Maya, who is from America, and Anna, who is from Liberia, would have never been my friends if I had not come and lived here. Secondly, I see my friends almost 24/7 which makes our friendship as strong as steel! We ripstick on the dock a lot and we usually play Frisbee on Fridays! Unfortunately, being an MK (Missionary Kid) has its down sides. Often times my friends go back to their home countries or get reassigned. It makes me feel very sad; sometimes I sit and wonder why people have to leave. Still, I love the diversity of my friends.

Caroline and her sweet friend Elsa (one of those hard good-byes)
Although, the ship is very large we are all a very close community. To begin with, unlike other places, we have a school right here onboard. We have this funky celebration called Jabulani day were everyone dresses up using the basics of a theme. It is totally breathtaking! Also, everybody knows almost everyone else. I trust a lot of adults and I feel comfortable enough to just walk up to someone and say "hi" even if I do not know them.

Crew of the AFM, Congo
Obviously, the ship is one of my favorite places on the planet! I feel like everyone is as close as a giant “family” that travels together all around Africa. God bless the Africa Mercy now and forever!

Surely there will be more to come!

6 comments:

  1. Wow!! Caroline is such an amazing writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing! She is definitely a great little writer and I love getting her perspective on this unconventional life she lives! Thanks for sharing Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super Duper See-Saw story! I loved it Caroline! Well done. Thank you for being brave to live on see-saw and to publish your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Caroline! Thank you for sharing your incredible story with us! I can hear "your voice" in the words you've written and it's beautiful! ~ Aletha

    ReplyDelete
  5. She may be the next Cash to be published!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really very informative content is here, thanks for sharing such info.
    personalcashadvance.com

    ReplyDelete