02 May 2016

i fell in love last week.

I fell in love last week.  I guess that shouldn't surprise me - after all, this vessel has been deemed the "love boat."   I just wasn't sure if it was really going to happen to me (especially since I came here happily married and already very much in love).

It was down on deck 3. On Tuesday.  I was wearing blue (as was everyone else).

Truth be told, this isn't the first time I've fallen in love in this place.  Just the most recent.

The falling in love happened as I observed 2 surgeries.  The fact is that this love connection could have happened 3+ years ago (and multiple times!) -- as crew, we are able to observe surgery once per field service.  For no explainable reason other than I just hadn't made the effort (and - more honestly, I really wasn't sure I would be able to handle it!), this field service is the first time I've done it.

I donned my scrubs (which are so very comfy and I wish I could wear them all the time) and was oriented by the lovely and kind Bronnie (OR Administrative Assistant...aka "Ms. Hospitality" for the crew who are coming to be first hand observers of miracles on Deck 3).  She graciously told me what I should do if I began

These pictures are not from the surgeries that I observed - but they are similar to what I saw.  

I was welcomed in to an OR...I was told (in pretty terrific detail!) what was happening...I got to stand and watch as a hernia was repaired on a young Malagasy man. Even more impressive than the hernia repair was being in a room full of people from various countries, generations and backgrounds working together as one team to perform a life-changing surgery.
I was also able to watch and listen as the Mercy Ships surgeons (there were 2)mentored,  taught, modeled, and explained to a Malagasy surgeon what they were doing (or perhaps a surgeon in training - not sure which stage of learning he is in!).  Who knows how many lives will be better as this Malagasy man takes what he has learned and applies it in his hospital and shares it with his colleauges.  Capacity building right in front of me. Beautiful to witness.  
After the hernia surgery I thought I was done...but then Bronnie asked if I wanted to go into another OR.  I thought, "I'm dressed and ready for it, why not?!"  I'm glad I said yes...the 2nd surgery was even more fascinating than the first!  I was able to be inches from a baby having her cleft palate and lip repaired (by the surgeon on the left below).  I've never considered just how tough the palate is and how closing the gap is actually done.  I'm amazed by the talent and skills people have and how they use them to bring hope and healing to some of the world's forgotten poor.
Yes, I fell in love with this place all over again.  I fell in love with the mission and the vision and the love that is happening in, on and through this vessel.  I was reminded of why we are here...and what we're all a part of.  I fell in love with the way healthcare is done here on the Africa Mercy - with kindness, care, attention to detail, excellence and Jesus-like LOVE for the one in front of us.

I fell in love and I was reminded of how in love with this place I already am.

I needed the reminder.

Surely there will be more to come.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Dianna. This is beautiful because it captures so well the love of Deck 3. I think Dr. Gary's OR is where I fell in love, too. There is beauty and craftsmanship and artistry happening in those ORs every day. And it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brought tears to my eyes! So very lovely and a great reminder of the tangible LOVE provided by Mercy Ships.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you got to see what happens behind the red X! It's pretty cool isn't it? ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well to be honest the articles and the blogs are really appreciative.
    fast cash advances

    ReplyDelete